Saturday 13 April 2013

Another eBay purchase - Ten Tec Omni V

Here's the latest arrival for repair / renovation at the shack - A Ten Tec Omni V - This one looks in poor condition  ( not sure how it was stored but bits are rusty, and its very dirty and dusty ) - sold as " faulty receiver needs work, display OK, no transmit " - I got this from an eBay seller who I trust 100% - I've bought plenty of non working stuff and he is always accurate in his descriptions.

As described in others posts, I always check before applying power (yes even 12V !) internally for obvious problems or damage. The seller had already tried it to check the receiver and display, but I still check anyway - better to be safe than sorry.






If you look carefully at the picture (left) you will see what I'm working with - look at the knobs - very dirty, full of dust. I can't really describe how gritty they felt both to touch and when I turned them !!




The picture to the right shows  the other side of the transceiver, again look at the main spinner, again very dirty, and very very stiff to turn and the keypad has paint on it (white flash in the middle of the picture just above the blue M -> VFO button, again the buttons were very grubby and didn't feel very good at all.


From a distance it doesn't look too bad does it ?  but looks can be deceptive :)

It didn't come with a microphone or power cable (was described like this)

When I checked inside I got a very pleasant surprise ! - firstly looked in good nick, is very well built and had all its shields and screws intact - this is not always the case with eBay purchases - especially if someone has "had a go" at repairing it. The next pleasant surprise was it was fully fitted with all the filters that can be selected from the front panel - wow !!!!

This one looked like it hadn't been touched at all - just stored for a long time (probably in a garage or a loft !!) - in fact absolutely perfect for restoration :)

No comments:

Post a Comment