Thursday 16 May 2013

TS-570DGE Repair

Well I couldn't resist could I ?

Recently, well a few weeks ago actually, on a well known auction site, a TS-570DGE that was faulty. TX fine but RX was as deaf as a post, didn't have a good picture at all (see below)




Should I or shoudn't I  ? - surface mount doesn't frighten me, the owner hints that it might be the siwtching diodes in the bandpass filters, but then if its had higher power RF into it then who knows ?

I decide (as with all my bids) what I think its worth, place the bid and wait.

I win it for for quite a bit lower than my top limit :)

Its reasonably local, so I go and pick it up, its in excellent condition, is a DGE version, has a box with the packing, microphone, manual and power lead.

During our chat, he says that he has had the case off (bad sign) but was not impressed with all the surface mount and so didn't touch it (good sign !), he did say that when he touched around the input side of the receiver (!!!!) the receive side did pick up (it received signals!) - so might be a dodgy connection. He demonstrated that the TX side worked (it did :) ) and also that the rx side was as deaf as a post (it was !!).

He also had people email him saying this was a common fault and it was the swithcing diodes in the front end. I did some research on the net, and looked at the circuit diagram, but came up with nothing that was a 'common' fault. Yes there were faults reported and yes there are plenty of switching diodes in the from end but 'common' no.

So I pay the money, and retire home, pleased with my purchase and keen to find out what the real reason for the poor receive is.

No comments:

Post a Comment